Dominus Diabolicus - 33-map megawad - RELEASED (3/8/2024)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bofubutt

Re: Dominus Diabolus - In-Progress mapset (Updated 3/6)

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Yeah, I can live with the instagib trap if I am given more than cryptic clues. The other problem with the coloured torches is that I had to memorize the whole sequence.

And yes, getting the BFG in MAP10 is slightly annoying indeed. I was not going to complain about it, but now that you mention it, you might want to take away the timed puzzle and just have the secret switch lower the stair section permanently.
Exactly what I've done, in fact! The blue part of the stairs now lowers permanently. The main purpose of the switch was to make sure the player had to deal with the Baron before grabbing the BFG, but permanently lowering the stair section still does exactly that.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

MAP11 is now available, completing Episode 1, and multiple significant changes have been made to previous maps:
Spoiler:

New download link is here.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Excellent! Thank you. I will check it out as soon as possible. :thumb:
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Excellent! Thank you. I will check it out as soon as possible. :thumb:
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

I'm particularly fond of the new music tracks, and Lee Jackson wrote the music for MAP11. I'm also a lot happier with some of the early levels, which are less grindy in terms of resources. This does make them a bit easier, so it's entirely possible I might bring up the difficulty of MAP01-MAP03 in particular to be slightly more consistent with the rest of the levels, but right now, the difficulty curve feels very smooth yet broad to me, as MAP11 is definitely the hardest level in the whole set.
ActionAlligator

Re: Dominus Diabolus - Episode 1 released (updated 5/18)

Post by ActionAlligator »

looks interesting, very impressive for your first map set :) will give it a try sometime and report back
Bofubutt

Re: Dominus Diabolus - Episode 1 released (updated 5/18)

Post by Bofubutt »

ActionAlligator wrote:looks interesting, very impressive for your first map set :) will give it a try sometime and report back
Let me know what you think! I'm looking forward to it.

I'm making some good progress on MAP12, which is the start of the Hell episode (what's the episode after Hell? that's a secret). Expect even bigger fights where you'll have to think on the fly, think about which enemies are the biggest threat, and deal with them before you get overrun.

Bofubutt

Re: Dominus Diabolicus - 33-map megawad - RC3 available! (Updated 2/21/24)

Post by Bofubutt »

Long time no post, but I promise this isn't a Necropost - because this wad is DONE (or rather, is in RC form)! 33 maps! Grab it here!

There have been a lot of changes since the last update to this thread, including new enemies, overhauling of existing levels, adding of all new levels, you name it. A recent version of GZDoom is required (tested on 4.11.3), or whatever MBF21-compatible source port strikes your fancy.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Damn I just played through the old version the other day, real excited to play this full one.

EDIT: So the OP says mouselook isn't forced off, but its forced off.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

Brohnesorge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:02 pm Damn I just played through the old version the other day, real excited to play this full one.

Ah, that's unintentional. I tested with mouselook to make sure nothing broke, but I might have been overriding the settings in the wad to do so. I'll take a look later, but if you want it on, you should be able to override it with console commands.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

RC5 is now available here, containing some rebalancing, simplification of some particularly grating secrets in MAP14/MAP16, and other quality of life improvements.

This is likely to be the final version of the wad, pending any showstoppers found.
Bofubutt

Re: Dominus Diabolicus - 33-map megawad - RELEASED (3/8/2024)

Post by Bofubutt »

Brohnesorge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:02 pm Damn I just played through the old version the other day, real excited to play this full one.

This is now fixed in the final release here!

There's a few other changes I've made in other maps, particularly early ones, but also addressing some cheese in MAP33. This version will be submitted to the idgames archives next week.

Return to “Levels”