Using ANIMDEFS

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
DukeNukem
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Using ANIMDEFS

Post by DukeNukem »

Using Slade3, I've added custom flats and textures I want to animate. Using the menu "Archive->New Entry" and setting type to BOOM animated (for the flats) and BOOM switches (for the textures) it was pretty straightforward. However I then read that the preferred way is something called ANIMDEFS (https://zdoom.org/wiki/ANIMDEFS). I cant find anything in menus so I assumed I needed to create a new entry of type text called "ANIMDEFS"?

So based on the example from the wiki I add the following text:

flat x_001
pic FLOOR8_1 tics 5
pic FLOOR8_2 tics 5
pic FLOOR8_3 tics 5
pic FLOOR8_4 tics 5

Result ? No animation :-( The floor is set to flat "FLOOR8_1"; I did wonder if instead I should set it to "x_001" but no sign of that when loading into Ultimate Doom Builder.

So what am I missing ?

TTFN,
Jon
DukeNukem
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Using ANIMDEFS

Post by DukeNukem »

Ah, OK, it clicked when I scrolled down a bit further and saw the part "animated flats and textures from Doom":

flat BLOOD1 range BLOOD3 tics 8

So in my case I jus changed "x_001" to "FLOOR8_1". Dur !

All that's left now is the switches; they are working except for the sound which is always default switch sound. If I type in the name of a sound that doesn't exist - just to see what happens - there are no errors and the default switch sound still plays. I therefore guess I'm not typing in a recognised sound. The wiki links to https://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO but sadly this doesn't list the available sounds. So I opened up the gzdoon.pk3 and looked at its sndinfo . In there is a line:

world/spark1 spark1

So, I tried specifying "spark1" as the sound, then "world/spark1", but in both cases I get the default switch sound. So, just how am I supposed to specify a sound ?

TTFN,
Jon
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Using ANIMDEFS

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, the wiki page says it pretty clearly.
"name-of-sound-how-you-want-to-refer-to-said-sound" = "name-of-sound-lump.extension".
Reason why the soundn doesnt work are numerous - the sound is in incorrect place, the name of the sound is different, the sound is in format that gzdoom cannot recognize...
You have to refer to the sound by its logical name, not lumpname...

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”