Writewave crashes GzDoom 4.10.0

Post bugs that have to do with sound and/or in-game music here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
ChopBlock223
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 with extensive trimming and regedits.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Writewave crashes GzDoom 4.10.0

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Trying to record current .midi or .mus file, the game crashes to desktop without any error code.

writewave D_RUNNIN record01.wav
Above would be the line I use. Am I doing something wrong, or is defining sample rate less optional than I thought?
Also is there a command for writing out all the .midi or .mus files in a loaded pwad?
Alfred Don

Re: Writewave crashes GzDoom 4.10.0

Post by Alfred Don »

ChopBlock223 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:13 am Trying to record current .midi or .mus file, the game crashes to desktop without any error code.

writewave D_RUNNIN record01.wav
Above would be the line I use. Am I doing something wrong, or is defining sample rate less optional than I thought?
Also is there a command for writing out all the .midi or .mus files in a loaded pwad?
Cannot reproduce. It might help to include more details such as your IWAD, GZDoom version, OS Version, etc
ChopBlock223
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 with extensive trimming and regedits.

Post by ChopBlock223 »

doom2.wad (v1.9)
rockit25.wad (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/rockit25)
GzDoom v4.10.0
Windows 10
Professor Hastig

Post by Professor Hastig »

I also tried it with several synths. Aside from libADL being magnitudes slower than the rest all synths produced a valid output file. So what's your precise settings here?
ChopBlock223

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Uh, you mean like my GzDoom config file?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's your precise music settings? I have been unable to reproduce the crash, it exports everything fine, regardless of used synth and sound font.
Also, please post your startup log.
ChopBlock223

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Music settings, where do I find those? I didn't see them in the settings file I think.

Anyway, I discover that Windows 10 decided that me pointing to the directory for GzD 4.10.0 when using Open With on a .wad meant that I still wanted to open it with 4.8.0, and at first I think that's my error, but no, I get the same results when properly running with 4.10.0, the program crashes immediately and there's no error message or anything.

Here's the log:
Spoiler:
This would be my .ini file:
Spoiler:
I wouldn't know for sure if there's any errors in the .ini or the autoload. Looking at the log I got printed out, it would seem to run both the Doom 1 and Doom 2 versions of the Sprite Fix Project files, which is probably an error on my part.
Probably not an error relating to this problem, but is that something which could cause other issues and which I should address anyway?
ChopBlock223

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Uh, I notice that there's actually two D_RUNNIN files in the rockit25.wad, one is a 82kb .MIDI file, another is a 57kb .MUS file, is it possible that there's a syntax error because it's read as a duplicate?

(EDIT: I actually don't think syntax error would be even remotely the correct term here, I don't know why I said that).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, I was able to write out d_runnin from that WAD.
ChopBlock223

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Well, was there anything weird in the logs or in the .ini file?
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

are you using any OPL synths? I got a crash trying to use a writewave one time using the Duke 3D timbres once.
ChopBlock223

Post by ChopBlock223 »

No, I never use OPL.

Return to “Audio/Music Bugs”