Ultra-Minimalist Aestethic

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
jadedrakerider
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Ultra-Minimalist Aestethic

Post by jadedrakerider »

Hi all,

I've been lurking a long time and I got the itch to finally put together a few maps. I had a question about the way I am creating props. I fully recognize this is extremely ghetto and perhaps a bit goofy given that GZDoom is capable of. I have been using sectors with strategically placed to create very simple props. Here are a few examples. I have been doing this for a day so they definitely aren't very impressive.

Desk:

Chair & Side Table:

I am finding that I kind of like this look, though. It has a Minecraft-y, early 90's jank feel to it. I'm calling it ultra-minimalism instead of "too-cheap-and-impatient-to-buy-or-learn-3d-assets". I think I want to lean into this. Does anybody have any suggestions for monsters, weapons, potential pitfalls (I have discovered a few myself already, I can't use some sequenced lighting effects I wanted), art styles to lean into this?
Last edited by jadedrakerider on Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Ultra-Minimalist Aestethic

Post by ramon.dexter »

Oh yeah, I'm also using pretty similar method. But I'm not aiming for a minimalistic approach like in minecraft, I'm rather aiming more for build engine level of details OR Ion Fury level of details. Minecraft is not bad game at all, I've spent a huge amount of time in it. But I'm just not a big fan of this huge block aestethics...
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

This is called DoomCute (also known generally as "sector detailing"). It's a prestigious line of work with a long and glorious history.

8-)
jadedrakerider
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by jadedrakerider »

Caligari87 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:46 pm This is called DoomCute (also known generally as "sector detailing"). It's a prestigious line of work with a long and glorious history.
Awesome! I knew I had seen it around, but I didn't know the name.

I have been experimenting with some stuff I have thought about but never tried before. It is a lot of fun.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”